Great Cyber Hygiene: Preventing a Ransomware Attack According to the FBI
By Lauren Bell | May 06, 2019 | Insights, News
In CBS News’ 60 minutes feature on ransomware, The FBI’s Mike Christman explains how to prevent a ransomware attack using ‘Great Cyber Hygiene.’
- Patch your networks, regularly and rapidly
- Use dual or multi-authentication authentication for passwords.
- Secure your backups offline.
- Set Up internal firewalls so that actors that already have access cannot move laterally through the network
- Understand that allowing remote access for your employees creates an additional set of vulnerabilities
The report also highlights recent ransomware attacks on Cleveland Airport, The Hancock Regional Hospital, who began diverting emergency patients to another hospital 20 miles away during the attack, and Leeds Alabama, who was left to conduct governing with pen and paper.